Best cybersecurity courses online for free
Paid and Free program| Online cybersecurity courses for beginners
Are you looking for securing a career in cybersecurity? we have shortlisted the best online free cybersecurity courses for your e-learning.
Cybersecurity becoming a hot buzz in the IT and cyber industry. In a recent survey done by the Alliedmarketresearch report, the cybersecurity market is growing at a CAGR of 11.9% from 2018 to 2025 and is projected to reach $258.99 billion by 2025.
This means this field has a lucrative job profile and has a great opportunity in the near future.
“Learn CyberSecurity online at your own pace and be a part of cyber& digital security innovation.”
Maybe you have already decided to pursue a career in cybersecurity and are looking to get started. An online cybersecurity course can definitely help you. Online learning platforms/ teaching programs vary greatly in terms of accessibility, availability, competence level, scope, accreditations, price of courses.
Why you should choose cyber security as a profession?
you may consider the following good reasons to start your carrier in CyberSeucity profession:
- As mentioned above, the cybersecurity market is continuously increasing and was valued at $104.60 billion in 2017. In this profession, you have good opportunities for your carrier growth in the future.
- Demand for skilled & knowledgeable cybersecurity personals and trainers is continuously on the rise.
- Plan and organize well your business’s security measures and also educate your subordinates and employees on cybersecurity.
- And none of the last, Average Cyber Security salaries for a skilled professional is around $96,181/ yearly.
Whatever has propelled you to the world of cybersecurity, I am sure that online courses right choice for learning any course and get a degree/ certifications in your CV.
There are a lot of options available in the market to learn cybersecurity courses online. But don’t worry we have put together list bets online cybersecurity courses may opt for if you are a beginner and have some experience in cyberspace.
Are you in a hurry? Before we get into the details, here is the summary of the best cybersecurity course available online:
1. Udemy: A great range of courses, good learning opportunities for beginners to advance level and it provides In-depth cybersecurity courses with certifications at a nominal cost.
2. Coursera: Covers 4 Courses in Cyber Security Specialization help you on your way to a career in cybersecurity. These courses value for money.
3. StationX Cyber Security School: Get Unlimited Access to more than 140 + of cybersecurity courses including Information & Cybersecurity, ethical hacking, penetration testing, and much more. It’s not free but it is one of the best values for the money cybersecurity course.
4. SANS Cyber Aces Online: Get one of the best Cyber Security Courses from world trusted SANS institute for free and excel your skill and security fundamentals around networking, system admin & operating systems.
5. Open University: One of the best options for Online distance learning with university accredited courses and have a range of IT qualifications/ degree options.
6. Future Learn: Lots of course options with some accredited degrees and good online learning environment and support. It has options for beginners as well as for Develop professionals in the cybersecurity field.
7. edX Essentials of Cybersecurity: Covers 4 skill-building course and it is the best option for those looking for a university accredited course.
What are the criteria for selecting the best online CyberSecurity Course?
The courses has been listed based on following parameters or criteria:
- Prerequisite skills or knowledge required before enrolment into the courses.
- Course content and online study environment quality.
- Type of certification and accreditation after completion o of course.
- Value addition to your business and profession by implementing practical solutions suggested by courses.
- Cost: Value for money.
Best Cybersecurity course online >> Detailed Description:
1. Udemy Cyber Security Courses:
“Huge, comprehensive and great learning platform for online courses”
Udemy Cyber Security Courses: Pros & Cons
+ Multiple options to choose from beginners to advance.
+ Broad range of cybersecurity courses.
+ 123 Lectures +1 Article + 1 Downloadable resource+ Full lifetime access .
+ 30-day money-back guarantee.
– No accreditation.
– Paid One.
Udemy becoming a popular online learning platform for digital courses like CyberSecurity and it offers multiple cybersecurity courses option from beginner to advanced. All courses are taught by best approachable instructors and Industry CyberSecurity experts.
Udemy Cyber Security course covers fundamental building blocks to excel in your cyberSecurity skills and help you learning cyberSecurity landscapes, threat, and vulnerability through risk assessments and threat modeling.
For beginners, we suggest starting with “The Complete Cyber Security Course” which includes four volumes. All classes and course material are tough by Nathan House, a Leading Cyber Security Expert.
These are the 4 modules in this course:
- Hackers Exposed: Learn how to stop block tracking, hackers, prevent government surveillance, Learn IT Security & INFOSEC.
- Network Security: Improve your skills in network security, wifi security and hackers, firewalls, password managers, and more.
- Anonymous Browsing: Discover the world of anonymous browsing including hiding IP addresses, Tor, and VPNs.
- End Point Protection: Learn about malware, antivirus software, disk encryption, and application control, Finding & Removing Hackers & Malware.
2. Coursera Introduction to Cyber Security Specialization:
“Getting certified from a university like NYU Tandon School of Engineering at no cost in CyberSecurity has never been so easy “
Coursera Introduction to Cyber Security Specialization: Pros & Cons
+ Plenty of cybersecurity courses.
+ Ideal for beginners.
+ 100% Free.
+ Certifications as well as accreditations for few courses after completion of course.
– No Degree.
Like Udemy, Coursera offers a wide range of online courses on their e-learning platform for distance learning, including an Introduction to Cyber Security Specialization by New York University Tandon School of Engineering which is an excellent course for a beginner.
In this course, each specialization comes with a hands-on project which will get you a certificate and credits after completion of the courses.
Coursera’s “Introduction to Cyber Security Specialization” includes 4 courses:
- Introduction to Cyber Attacks: Enriches you a basic understanding of common cybersecurity vulnerabilities, threats, risks, and an overview of how cyberattacks are carried out.
- Cyber Attack Countermeasures: Learn the basics of cyber defense and cryptography using foundational models, cryptography and authentication, and modern certification authority-based cryptographic solutions.
- Real-Time Cyber Threat Detection and Mitigation: Teaches real-time cyber security techniques & methods, design and configure firewall solutions, and how to detect and prevent common (e.g. DDOS and third-party attacks) attacks.
- Enterprise and Infrastructure Security: Discusses more advanced topics such as modern enterprise compliance frameworks and emerging security issues in blockchain, blinding algorithms, Internet of Things (IoT), and critical infrastructure protection.
You may participate and learn as many individual courses at the Coursera e-learning platform for free including this one. Let’s complete Cyber Security specialization and its corresponding hands-on project to get the certifications for free:
3. StationX Cyber Security School:
“One of the best values for the money cybersecurity course and ideal for beginners as well as for advance level .“
StationX Cyber Security Specialization: Pros & Cons
+ More than 140+ online Cyber Security courses.
+ Ideal for beginners and professionals.
+ 100% 30 Days money-back guarantee.
+ Certifications as well as Exam preparations for Cisco’s CCNA, CompTIA, OSCP, CISA, etc.
– No formal Degree.
StationX Cyber Security School currently offering more than 140+ courses related to cybersecurity, penetration testing, ethical hacking networking, security coding, digital forensics, exam preparation, and incident response.
It also provides courses for preparation for exams like Cisco’s CCNA, CompTIA, OSCP, CISA, Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP), etc.
“The Complete Cyber Security Course!” includes four volumes with classes and on-demand video taught by cybersecurity expert and StationX CEO, Nathan House is recommended for beginners to start with then learn other topics available on the e-learning portal.
There are four modules in this course as mentioned below:
- Hackers Exposed: Introduction to how to stop hackers, prevent government surveillance, block tracking & advanced anonymous browsing.
- Network Security: Teaches network security, wifi security and hackers, Wireshark, firewalls, password managers, and more, hacking techniques and vulnerability scanning.
- Anonymous Browsing: Discover the world of anonymous internet browsing including IP masking, private browsing, Tor, and VPNs.
- End Point Protection: Get yourself familiar with antivirus software, application control, malware, encryption.
These courses are not free but you can get value for money Station X CyberSecurity school membership $149/ year only.
4. SANS Cyber Aces Online:
“It is the only best online security courses donated by SANS school for free and recommended for beginners and students.”
SANS Cyber Aces Online: Pros & Cons
+ Ideal for students and beginners.
+ 100% free.
+ Globally Trusted institute and leader in cyber security training.
– No formal Certifications.
Open the gateway to cybersecurity skills and careers with SANS Cyber Aces Online courses for free. SANS organization is a highly trusted and global leader in the field of information security and has experience of research and education programs for 3 decades.
The free course offered by is “Fundamentals of Cybersecurity” and it covers the three areas of IT and Cybersecurity:
- Operating Systems: Introduction to computer operating systems (OS), Linux, CentOS LiveCD in VMware Player, Windows OS, and covers important topics that a cybersecurity professional should know.
- Networking: Discusses Network fundamentals, covering the essential concepts needed to learn computer attacks and defenses point of view. You will learn OSI / TCP layers of computer networking.
- System Administration: This module focuses on the tools for common administrative functions and scripting environments like PHP and PERL GNU BASH and Microsoft Powershell scripting.
5. Open University:
“Best Open University (OU) to get qualification and degree in CyberSecurity to master in the field of IT security”.
Open University CyberSecurity courses: Pros & Cons
+ Ideal for distant learning.
+ Multiple of IT courses & qualifications to opt for.
+ Globally Trusted and accredited institute.
+ Great Online learning environment.
– Min. 2 years required to achieve a degree.
In distance learning, The UK’s Open University (OU) is a leader with decades of experienc of developing its IT courses for many international range of students. The online e-learning portal for students is user friendly and informative.
The OU mainly offers three types of cybersecurity degrees or courses i.e. PG Diploma in Cyber Security (E96 ), MSc in Cyber Security (F87), and Network Security ( T828) mainly.
For beginners, it is recommended to start with a PG Diploma in Cyber Security (E96 ) and it covers mainly four modules.
- Information security: Study professional and technical skills required for information security risk assessment and management, implementation strategy, and aspects of your organization’s information security.
- Digital forensics: Teaches the history of forensics, criminal digital law, digital investigation techniques for PCs and smartphone devices as well as forensic readiness.
- Cybersecurity fundamentals: Study cybersecurity fundamentals, including detection and prevention of threats, protect IT systems and networks, and prediction of potential cyber-attacks.
- Network security: Focus on Exam certifications like Cisco CCNA Security and CCNA Cyber Security Operations. Explore and learn secure internetworked systems & information systems security management.
6. Future Learn : Introduction to Cyber Security
“Get a free professional certification in CyberSecurity from GCHQ Certified Training and IISP accredited online course from FutureLearn.”
Open University CyberSecurity courses: Pros & Cons
+ Lots of course options.
+ Accredited by GCHQ, APMG International & IISP.
+ 100% Free and no hidden cost.
+ Great presentation and e-learning environment.
– Few accredited courses.
Like Udemy & Coursera, Future Learn is also an excellent online e-learning platform and offers a good range of short, essential, and free online sources in the Cyber Security filed which you can try and gain skill.
All the courses are found to be are well-presented in short, elaborative, and easy to access and study the courses that make learning simple and interesting.
For beginners like you it is recommended to start with “The Introduction to Cyber Security” course which offers free and also is accredited by UK Government’s intelligence GCHQ, global examination, and accreditation institute APMG International, and The Institute of Information Security Professionals (IISP).
In the “The Introduction to Cyber Security” offered by Future Learn covers the following 8 topics of Cybersecurity :
- Threat landscape: Learn basics and Cybersecurity terminologies, cyber threats, etc.
- Authentication: Discover passwords, access control, two-factor authentication, etc.
- Malware: Learn different types of malware, preventing infection, attack vectors, worms & viruses, etc.
- Networking and communications: Know about the fundamentals of OSI layers, standards, security challenges, etc.
- Cryptography: Teaches symmetric and asymmetric cryptography, applications, methods, and processes, etc.
- Network security: Lear about important security and defense methodologies like firewalls, intrusion detection & prevention, virtual private networks (VPN), etc.
- When your defenses fail: Learn important cybersecurity laws, recovering from attacks, and remedies form legal aspects of security.
- Managing security risks: Discover risk analysis and management, Security Threat models, and many more.
Let’s join Future Learn ” The Introduction to Cyber Security” for free:
7. edX Essentials of Cybersecurity:
“Excellent option for those looking for a university accredited CyebrSecurity courses online for growth of your career.”
edX CyberSecurity courses: Pros & Cons
+ Professional Cybersecurity courses also available with fundamental courses: 4 skill-building courses.
+ University recognized certificates & credit programs.
+ Very Convenient: Study and demonstrate at your own pace.
– Paid Only.
edX is a great resource for accredited university courses and training programs in the IT and cybersecurity industry. “The Professional Certificate in Essentials of Cybersecurity” online course is offered by one of the most reputed University of Washington (UWashingtonX).
It costs $ 716.40 and recommended for candidates who has some experience in Cyber Security and want to excel and master his/ her skill in this field.
Courses in “WashingtonX’s Essentials of Cybersecurity Professional Certificate: program:
- Introduction to Cybersecurity: Learn about in cyberspace and Cybersecurity, threat actors and their motivations, etc.
- Cybersecurity: The CISO’s View: Teaches what Chief Information Security Officer (CISO) plays a leadership role in cybersecurity operations, protecting the data and digital systems of an organization.
- Building a Cybersecurity Toolkit: Discover the essential skills and technics to become a cybersecurity professional.
- Finding Your Cybersecurity Career Path: Get yourself aware of various cybersecurity career path opportunities that are the right fit for you and self-assessment to determine crucial next steps on your career path.
Register yourself for edX CyberSecurity course here:
Current Cybersecurity challenges and market growth it is wise to have a good certification in your CV especially if you are are involved in any IT networking and Cybersecurity activities professionally.
So why wait, you can take advantage of the modern e-learning platform and gain your new skill in cybersecurity expertise even without any prior domain knowledge.
So what was your take on Best Cyber Security courses online? definitely it has helped you to decide the best cybersecurity courses bases on Training & Learning Courses, Tutorial, hands-on project, Certifications, and affiliated degrees provided by online e-learning platforms. You liked this post please share with your friends and family. All the best for your career in cybersecurity! Cheers!.
From the lists of all the above courses, I personally recommend free “Sans Cyber Aces online” cybersecurity courses which provide a good introduction to cybersecurity and easy to follow and understand for beginners.
FAQs on Best cybersecurity courses online for free
Q1. How can I learn cybersecurity online?
Ans: Nowadays, the e-learning platform is one of the best and recommended distance learning alternatives.
Studying a course and getting a degree online like Cybersecurity has never been so easy and you have to enroll any available course on any e-learning platforms like Udemy, Future Learn, Open University, Coursera, etc.
Q2. What are the best online Cybersecurity courses for free?
1. Coursera: Covers 4 Courses in Cyber Security, courses value for money, etc.
4. Future Learn: Lots of course options accredited degrees and good online learning environment and support.
Q3. How can I get into cybersecurity with no experience?
Ans: All the courses mentioned above like Coursera, Udemy, SANS ACES online, Future learn does not require any prior knowledge in the CyberSecurity subject. You have to join any of the listed courses online and start learning and studying subjects at your own pace.
Q4. Are online courses on cyber security worth it?
Ans: Yes! A Cybersecurity earned through an online e-learning platform is a valuable addition to your skillset and improves your understanding and give you command on Sycber security expertise.
A cybersecurity certification and courses will not only help you professionally organize systems, networks, and programs from cyber attacks and threats to your organization but it also helps your personal cybersecurity awareness.